[Linked Image]

I have a history of building guns to get low noise, the most power, no suppressor, and legal.
The trick is to get the powder compressed, the expansion ratio high, and the barrel long. Use soft Lead bullets. Seal the gas behind the bullet by cramming the bullet into the lands. The threshold of super sonic gas escapement [Loud gunshot bang vs BB gun spitting sound] is one atmosphere above ambient.

[Linked Image]

The stock 45/70 chamber has riflings that are way out there. I want to compress the 1 gr of powder, but I do not want to jump to the lands. A jump to the lands would allow gas to make a bang and also it would ruin accuracy with soft Lead. I want a Lead seal on pressure at the lands. So I needed to make a spacer. I made a formula for the outside of the 45/70 case. I measured the thickness of the case wall at 0.1" intervals starting at the case web. I then used a spread sheet to tell me the diameter of a spacer. With DRO, not CNC I made spacers. At first from Steel, but later from 6061 Aluminum Alloy. The flash hole must be big enough to get a decapping pin down. It is a home made decapping die made with drill rod.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps