I had an interesting experience this year; the day after filling my tag, we were sitting around our small camp, not long after sunrise, drinking our cups of hot coffee and heard a series of bugles. It was clear they were getting closer so we moved to where we could get a glimpse of them. We were camped in a treeline just off a small lake and a field that was ~250 yards across. From directly downwind, and tucked in some small trees, we watched as ~10 elk, mostly cows, but 2 spikes and a smallish bull, entered the field on the far right side. I could see where they wanted to cross the field right to left and head towards some private land. The herd bull was still bugling away but we could not see him. The small herd stopped about 90 yards into the field waiting for the bull. The bull made it to the treeline but would not enter the field. Just once, he trotted into the field and circled around a single tree that stuck out and then he went immediately back into the trees. I could watch him with the binos as he hung back about 20 yards inside the trees. He was bugling away the whole time. The herd started to continue across the field a few times but seemed to respond to his screams by pausing. Finally, the old bull, he was a nice big 6x6, much larger than the bull I shot, turned to his right and skirted the field staying well within the treeline. The herd took a right turn and met back up with him in the woods and they continued on their way remaining in the cover. It was an interesting observation to see him clearly dictate the movement of the group, and he wanted nothing to do with the open space. Not sure if 'smart' is the correct term, but that bull demonstrated some good survival instincts or skills.