I hunted with one load and one bullet for about twenty years, a 165-grain Nosler Partition in a .30-06. I reloaded all of my ammo and shot one bull elk, a lot of whitetails and pronghorns, a few mule deer and the occasional feral hog. When my daughters wanted to start hunting, I bought a .243 and then a couple of 7mm-08s, a .270 for myself (followed eventually by four more) and a few other rifles.

For the kids' and grand kids' rifles, I work up one load that will work well in their individual rifles for anything that they will have a chance to hunt and we stick with it. However, I like to experiment with different cartridges and different rifles and different bullets and different powders. It's what I do instead of woodworking, playing golf, gardening and any number of other past-time pursuits that engage other people. I recognize that I am an indifferent amateur gunsmith, but I like to fool around with all of this in the evening while my wife watches NCIS and plays spider solitaire on her laptop computer.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...