Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by idahostalker
I have been reading over and over how people take a rifle, lets say for example a 30-06, then they will load up 180gr bullets for elk and 150gr bullets for deer. Im curriouse of why some people choose to do that. I live hear in Idaho, I hunt elk and deer every year, and i use the same bullet for everything and it works great. So my question is Why do some people choose to have a load for deer and a load for elk?

Because a bullet that is suitable for elk may be too tough for deer. It just depends on the bullet.

How is a load you use for elk, or even bigger game "too tough" for deer? To me that doesnt make any sense. If you were take a bullet that is considerd a tougher bullet like the 180 grain or even a 200 grain TTSX, Partition, or swift A-Frame that you would use for elk and moose, and you shoot a deer with it, its still going to do what its suppose to do and knock the deer on its ass. Im not trying to be a smart ass or rude, maybe i dont fully understand what you mean by saying that a bullet would be "to tough" for deer. I tend to try and be more of the simple minded person and not get too caught up in "the new fads" or whatever else. When im loading for my rifles, I load for elk, because i know that if it will perform well on elk, it will perform on everything elk i hunt and then i dont have to worry while out deer hunting and i happen to come across a herd of elk and the season is open and I wont have to worry if my "deer load" is going to perform well on the heavy, dense bone of an elk. Sometimes I also forget that not everyone has the opportunity to hunt elk every year like i do and they simple dont have to worry about that.
My favorite quote that I like to think about and live by (Im deffinatly not perfect at it) is "simplicity is the ultimate suffistication". Its a very simple quote, yet its something you can think/ponder on and you can get pretty deep with it.