Originally Posted by BC30cal
CrimsonTide;
I hope that this finds you and yours well this Sunday afternoon sir.

What the chap in the bucket didn't realize was that my German friend had been impressed into the army at gunpoint. He said they showed up at the family farm and said if he didn't come with them he'd die along with the rest of the family - so he went to the Russian front.

He was in no way, shape or form pro Nazi, which is what he was wrongly accused of by the fellow in the trash can.

Although my older friend didn't talk much about it, at times privately with me he'd share the horrors he'd seen in the concentration camp. To say he was anticommunist would be just scratching the surface in my view CrimsonTide.

Anyway I've known a lot of vets from several conflicts and have nothing but the deepest respect for them. The overwhelming majority have treated me in an exemplary manner and I've done my best to return that courtesy.

All the best to you and yours in 2013 CrimsonTide.

Regards,
Dwayne

Anybody who doesn't believe stories like that should just watch the movie, Enemy at the Gates, which is about the Russian front, though told through the eyes of a drafted Russian instead. The movie certainly implies that although the protagonist is Russian, he isn't Communist. The scenes of the Russian officers shooting conscripts that are terrified of walking into the Nazi death machine are particularly brutal.