I used 17 Ackley Hornets for many years and had three of them at the same time. A Cooper Model 38 Classic, and both a custom TC Contender carbine 20" and 14". Really great rigs that shot a lot of varmints and predators over the years for me. When the 17HMR was to come out, a couple of months before I had a custom protype TC carbine that was used to do the field testing on fleah with for Hornady. With its special chamber it was amazing and never matched by any other it shot with. Two more 17HMR's were added, and when they first came out 3 17HM2's as well. Anyway, over a couple of years the Hummer's sort of replaced the 17AH's. Not much effective range was lost even on predators, saved a lot of brass form/reloading time for me those years when my useage was very high with the smaller 17's, as much as 10K/year. Still have one 17HMR, 2 17HM2's and a lifetime of ammo for them... all three 17AH's are gone. Something I thought would never happen as they were among my most loved cartridges ever. I just found that I could do almost anything with the 17HMR good enough that I didn't use the AH's anymore.

Cooper 17 Ackley Hornet
[Linked Image]

Bullberry 17HMR Carbine
[Linked Image]