Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by safariman
I just ran into a fellow who bought one of the Century Arms MAkarovs that they rebarreled to 9mm Luger.

To my knowledge there is no such animal. At best you have a .380 Auto converted to 9mm Mak, at worst you bought some idiot's project conceived in his mother's basement.
I recall reading about such an animal a couple of years ago when I had a Mak and I was reading up on such things. I did a quick Google and found this: http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

According to the director Russian Affairs at former importer B-West, they tested the 9x19 Makarov available from Baikal. The way the 9x19 Makarov works is that the chamber is scored or serrated, the brass gets blown out into those serrations thereby retarding blowback. The result is that the brass is shredded and unusable for reloading, the brass is tossed into low orbit, and the recoil of the gun is horrendous. For liability reasons, B-West refused to import these.

Similarly, reaming the chamber of a .380 ACP pistol by 2 "silly millimeters" is discouraged. Naturally, if you want to shoot only handloads and know what you're doing while working up a load, you can try this. I suggest a good life insurance policy first though

Can you do it? Yeah, maybe. Is it safe? I doubt it.