Originally Posted by 7fa
I know the "which caliber" topic has been beat to death, but would appreciate some opinions opinions on which makes the most sense for my 1st guided elk hunt this Fall. Guide says shots typically from 150-400 yds. I personally want to get as close as possible but know it's not always possible.

Win 70 in 270 Wby w/ 2.5x8 glass. Have hunted with it for years and trust it, but I'm on the fence if it's a bit light for Elk and if its enough magnification?

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 375 H&H 1.75-6 glass. New to the stable and haven't hunted with it yet, but it shoots well and is lighter and more handy than the Bee. Being a Winchester man I realize the bolt handle may fall off during an Elk charge, but I'm willing to take the risk...

I'd like to use the 375 (since I bought it for possible heavy stuff) but the potential for a long range shot is making me think twice.

What do you think?

I've never hunted elk with either caliber, but I have used a .270 Win and a .338 Win Mag quite a bit, with total success for both.

Personally I think you would have the better choice with the .270 Wby, and the glass you have on it would be fine. It is not too light for elk in my opinion, provided you use a quality bullet and put it in the right place.

On the other hand, if you really want to use the .375, then take both rifles. Carry the .270 Wby most of the time when hunting where shots can be long. Carry the .375 H&H when hunting in the black timber where shots might be shorter and shot angles less optimum. I have no doubt that it will kill elk where they stand if you hit them right. Hit them wrong and nothing is large enough.

Talk to your outfitter about it. He may have some recommendations that you should consider.

The only thing that bothers me here is that your .270 Wby is heavier than your .375 H&H. Maybe you have a really heavy .270 Wby or a really light .375 H&H (groan)??

I see no reason for a relatively light caliber rifle to weigh a lot more than a big .375 H&H thumper. Personally, I hate carrying any heavy rifle when hunting rough country on foot.

You will presumably be on horseback, and thus the horse carries that rifle most of the time. But when off the horse, the weight of the rifle is on you.

If your .270 Wby weighs anything more than about 9 pounds field ready, then I would think it is too heavy. If your .375 H&H weighs much less, it might be too light.

Either gun will work, but I suspect the .270 Wby will have the advantage over the .375 H&H in most situations.

This is a great thing to look forward to, and I wish you the best of luck!