The last time we bought a toyato we first went into the local dealer to look at a few models and they weren't willing to go down on price, so we walked. We looked at getting the car we wanted in the lower 48 and shipping it up. Then within a week or two the dealer had a add for the dealer special cars, i.e. those that have been sitting on the lot too long and they have to move them. Turned out we got the car we wanted for the price we wanted and no dickering.

I hate car dealerships and the games they play. I almost ripped up the contract when I bought my 2500 ram when I had to sit for an hour waiting for the "finance" guy even though I had a pre-approved loan from my bank and wasn't going to finance with them. What the "finance" guy really tries to do is add on an expensive extended warranty and other crap.

Definately go in with a pre-approved loan from your bank that is essentially a blank check and deal from there.

Last car I bought was the easiest transaction ever. Went in to get my wifes car serviced, saw a used car on the lot that had a very attractive price and low mileage. Came back at lunch to test drive it, got the sales guy to knock a bit off the price and cut him a check.