Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
Originally Posted by rost495
A serious consideration since the rifles only cost 500 bucks and have 200 buck scopes on them. And considering you may only get one shot at your game. I'd certainly be worried about projectile cost.

Might wanna check on fragmenting mono bullets for subsonic 300 whisper loads too if you are price checking...

I get it rost, I really do. And these particular setup's cost more than most, so the higher cost of the consumables takes longer to become significant.

I was specifically noting the cost of the JLK's, being as they are up to $55/100, which is impressively high for a 6.5 bullet.

But if you can get .338 Lapua type drift numbers out of the system...

Does depend on what you are doing... Most of my shooting was CMP service rifle. At which I did somewhat ok. It meant we shot from Feb or so through September every year. Almost every weekend. And some weekends twice. And often 2-3 times during the week at my personal range out the back door plus dry firing.

For that amount of shooting, I had practice ammo, IE stuff that was good but not great, but then there was state, and perry nationals ammo.... Kind of like making a hunting shot...

Lets just say there were some needle sharp mono bullets years ago. I can't recall exactly... but came 20 or so in a box, with foam knockouts where each bullet sat by itself. So sharp you could easily draw blood by the point. CNC turned. HIGH BCs.... over a dollar each IIRC.

I shot them for some time. But never could get them to shoot really well and I dropped them.

But to be able to gain some ground where I could go to nationals and win a match, by a point or X.... well you can't really factor the cost of the bullet at that point. All the prep and travel and such made the cost of the bullet really moot...

So yeah if you can get really good returns.... its often worth the money for some.

BTW fell back to running 90 JLKs out of the 223 and was worth the money. I only wish that Jimmy would have let me know he was selling out.... I"d have bought him out and done what swampy did..... in a heartbeat.

And then there is the issue of all components becoming more costly because of material cost and labor. Lets face it, I can't buy a box of 69 SMKs anymore for well under 10 bucks a box either.

Not trying to be too much of a smartazz here, but some costs just ain't a big deal in the scheme of things.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....