On the 700's, I bed the recoil lug and under the front of the reciever to where the magazine cut in the reciever begins. The recoil lug gets .020-.030 clearance on bottom, sides and front. No bedding under any part of the barrel. Same .020-.030 clearance between the sides of the reciever and the stock. The tang is bedded. The trigger guard (ADL or BDL) gets bedded to the botttom of the pillars. If it's an ADL, I inlet a small alum. pillar into the stock so the front trigger guard screw goes into that, rather than the action. Make sure there's no stock to mag box interference (if so equipped) and make sure the trigger assy. doesn't contact the stock at any point and that the trigger opening in the trigger guard is enlarged to give plenty of clearance.

Each action has it's own nuances and you have to take some time and study them before adopting a 'one size fits all'. approach.

I just finished pillar bedding a CZ527 in 204R. With the way it took to get decent pillars in there, etc. it was quite a project. The good thing is that now the dial indicator wiggles less than .002 when either the front or rear screws are cracked loose.....a far cry from how it was out-of-the-box, that's for sure.

FWIW. -Al

Forbidden Zoner