Originally Posted by Karnis
I bed the rear tang, receiver, lug and front of same for say 2" or so and then free float. Lug is bedded tight. Never had any issues unless I did something stupid like cant the barreled action some, etc.

Far as the rear tang with no bedding IMHO it's not so "critical" with a Rem or Win since the tangs are wider and longer than a Ruger or Mauser. That being said, I've gone to method mentioned above. Tight and stress free is where it's at.

I agree with Karnis.

I've rescued a number of Rugers and Mausers that quit grouping. Typically, in a narrow tang receiver, the wood can get soft and the action pulled down into a bind. I've even seen the rear action screw ground off, as it was coming up thru the action when tightened. By building up the tang area, restoring the action to proper positioning and relieving any bind, the thing starts shooting again.

On big boomers, I Steel Bed the lug, then glass bed the rest of the action.

I've heard top smiths say to float the barrel all the way to the reciever, something about harmonic vibrations, etc. Years ago, I was taught to bed the first couple of inches of the barrel. Probably splitting hairs... smile

Can't say I can tell the difference... cool

DF