Originally Posted by JPro
Also, some advocate bedding just the lug/front area and not sweating the remainder of the action, barring any unwanted contact from trigger pins/components and/or pinched magazine boxes.

There's a fair argument for bedding the recoil lug, minimum, but not always. I have a CDL Whelen that shoots a couple combinations into an average of <0.75MOA, and has since the day it came home. I have a couple five spot Redfield targets with five 3 shot groups all under 0.5", pretty much OK for any hunting rifle, the only modification is a Rifle Basix trigger. Most of the time, I've not been so lucky. I almost always put some time on a trigger swap, or cleanup, as few come through beyond barely usable. If accuracy doesn't pick up after a couple boxes of ammo, and a round of JB between trips to the range, I start with the recoil lug, and first two inches of barrel. Then I relieve fore end pressure, in steps. Last I'll pillar bed the tang. Usually ,somewhere through the exercise, the rifle will perk up and hunt. The ones that will not, go for a new tube, or a second owner.

Experience is what you get,
When you don't get what you want ;-0