...I just can't imagine being out in the outdoors and not carrying.

DaveR �

First, THANK YOU for your service. My brothers and I all served and I�m now the proud father of a daughter who is serving as a Russian linguist in the Air Force. Looks like she might get transferred to Elmendorf in Alaska before the year is out, might have to go up there and go hunting and fish� er, visiting.

No, I don�t think I took your post the wrong way. You were merely stating your reasons FOR carrying. Sounds like we both agree it�s a personal decision and to heck with what others think. Over the last couple decades handgun carry has been rare in the hunting camps I�ve been part of, but not unheard of, and I never gave it a second thought either way. And like you, I can�t remember ever hearing the term �greenhorn� in hunting camp but �flatlander� has been common.

Like you, I like to have a firearm handy when outdoors. Or at least when outdoors in the mountains. Over the years � and when not hunting with a rifle I hand - I�ve used everything from a Browning .22 pistol to a Ruger .357 Magnum revolver to a Kimber .45ACP to Browning B92 carbine in .44 Magnum. Never needed whatever I was carrying and pray I never do � but I�ll keep something handy just in case.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.