I laugh at anyone that can't see the merit in carrying an extra survival tool when out in the wilderness. Sure, you hopefully will never need it. I didnt for the first 16 years of my life. Call it a run of bad luck from then on though. I have had 4 instances since the age of 16 and change that I was lucky to get out of alive. So, it could be said that since I am alive-I in fact didnt need it. But thats just not true. I came within such a slight margin of not needing it that I figure I'm pushing my luck to expect to not one day need it-then not have it. I have never carried a sidearm and I'm forty seven now. But I'm going to this year as I can see the reality that should you ever need it and not have it, the circumstance may result in your injury at least, and death at worse. I plan on picking up a 44 pretty soon and will carry it when I go horse packing into the wilderness this season. I can't believe weight would be an issue. Your dang flashlight weighs as much and is less important. But I say do whatever floats your boat. Either way, its your life and nobody should be chastised whatever they decide. But just because you havent needed it yet, doesnt mean you won't someday. I found that out the hard way.