I agree with Jammer -- school zones, urban streets, construction zones, I always strictly comply with the posted limits because, for one, there's no time to be made up by cheating -- and it's dangerous.
Speed and momentum are not dangerous in and of themselves, it's where you have it and what happens to it that really matters.
One thing I'd like to see for drivers is an A-Card license. You go five years without a ticket and/or wreck and you get an A-license and a transponder that is good only for you. ZOOOOM. Huge fines if you cheat. No speeding tickets....but you can lose your A card with an at-fault or careless driving citation as noted below.
I really miss the reasonable and prudent law we had in Montana. It would be nice to have a category called "Driving While Stupid." Try to explain THAT before a judge.
What I would really like to see is more enforcement of proper driving, lane changes, signalling, right-left lane, centerline, tailgating, leaking out of the left-turn lane, unsafe, blown stops and the other "sloppy" things people do. If people tightened up their actual driving, it would make a huge difference.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.