The state of NH asks that all moose hunters fill out a survey card indicating how many hours were spent scouting, hunting, how many sightings were had of which sex, etc. I had all my paperwork squared away, and when I handed it over, the woman thanked me, but upon actually looking at the card, looked at me incredulously and asked, "were you really out every single day from dark to dark in the weather we've been having?" "Yes, ma'am" I said with a grim smile. I shot him on the 80th hour of the hunt, though we were out there for 100 hours or more" She shook her head, smiled and said, "Congratulations! By God you worked for and earned your moose. The kill is way down this year. The early rut was to blame in part, but more to the point I think, lots of people just couldn't handle the weather".

I paused for a moment, not quite sure how to respond, then said quietly, "Well, I'm a duck hunter, ma'am...". Glancing up from her paperwork, she eyed me up and down, and then said, "Of course you'd be, wouldn't you?" We shared a smile and laugh, and handed me my stamped paperwork.