VA Hunter, it looks like a lot of recommendations to spend all your money! In regards to your original statement. I think you are right in using your existing lens until your budget may allow something more. I am not sure what the current f-stop is on your existing lens but your decision to shoot at a higher ISO is obviously a starting point. What you may do is look at getting one of the WB caps that will allow you to calibrate your WB in the camera and minimize some work later if the lighting is mixed or the camera has a hard time reading it. I did a little research on the 60D in case it might help a little, and the tests show it gets really good test results up to ISO 800 and doesn't get to "unacceptable" until ISO 6400. I think you should be able to get away with ISO 1600 with good results maybe ISO 3200 with a little frustration.
Good luck, post some of the shots if you can. If there are any other questions that can be answered don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.