Chris F, I had not even thought about the rental aspect. That is a great idea. It is definitely a great way to see exactly how much of a difference a lens makes. It may make a decent improvement to go from a f5.6 to a f2.8 lens until you see that the additional clarity is going to run you $5000. Very good point. Also try and see if Tamron is having any events near where you live. They often offer the ability to go out and test drive a lens for a couple hours. Keep an eye out for camera club conventions or workshops they offer.
It is easy when looking at what is best vs. what will work best with limitations of budgeting. I get to enjoy the benefits of belonging to "Pro" service groups and when I have the need for a 800mm f5.6 or a 400mm f2.8 a simple phone call puts it at my door, but I am not having to put out the expense of owning it. It is easy to forget that not everyone is wanting "professional magazine quality" results, they just want to get better images than they are getting with what they have or can afford.

Maybe we should start a thread and call it "What's in my dream bag"!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.