Here is CT the problem is that if a Deer runs off the property you are hunting, you have to call the Game Warden and get permission to go after the deer. I am lucky the neighboring property owners hunt to and we have an agreement about this issue. As for shoulder shots on White tails, its fine with me, I would rather have the game down on the ground. Then again I don't shoot soft bullets that tend to break up either. One of my neighbors told me once that there is not a whole lot on the front shoulder of a deer to begin with. At most I might have lost 10 lbs off of a Buck I shot that field dressed a tad over 180 lbs. Then again a guest the same year should have taken a shoulder shot but he wanted not to waste a couple of handfuls of meat and that buck ran off and we never was able to find him. I looked for him for a week after that. That guy never hunted my property ever again. In europe they train dogs to find game once shot, its to bad we can't do that here, a good tracking dog would have found that deer. It still bothers me some 30 years after the fact.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov