Originally Posted by rost495
I didn't read many of the other replies so....

High shoulder shots on TV are for the effect, for some reason folks want to high five after slamming an animal to the ground, and question a hunter if they see a deer run after the shot.

Never mind the fact that there is less room for error with that shot and I always thought that conserving meat, and going for a high percentage shot was the best bet most of the time.

I've said it before and will again, if I feel the need to have DRT the largest target thats easiest to locate IMHO is the brain. The spine as it comes off the brain is half the size IE diameter. And it snakes around and is never in the same location in relation to the top of the back line of the deer so you have to know anatomy very well if you want to hit that tiny target at any place in the animal from any angle.

I understand the idea of not wanting to track or not having the animal go furhter, but thats the chance you take when you hunt and have to make your choice.

Can guarantee that moose hunting in some situations I'd take a brain shot due to water. And remember a cold evening in a river, cussing the fact that a buddy had made a high shot by accident on a caribou at least... REALLY wanted that bull to run out of the river before expiring.

As an example, I'm guessing (based on recent PM's) that 1) you seldom hunt from your hind feet 2) you seldom hunt in a rain forest.

If there is a downside to having a critter drop sooner rather then later, I'd like to hear it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"