Originally Posted by RobJordan
I believe the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is two-fold: (1) to facilitate (and protect) the capacity of the citizenry to revolt against tyrannical government and (2) to facilitate the right of self-defense. I think there is also a right to own and possess firearms if for no other reason than the enjoyment of it. That said, this is my short list of reasonable and unreasonable regs:

Reasonable:

-Prohibit seriously mentally ill and insane from owning/possessing guns.
-Prohibit violent felons or persons with a known lack of self-control and propensity for violence.
-Prohibit illegal aliens from owning or possessing (they're not citizens).
-Prohibit persons subject to domestic violence restraining orders only if there is clear and convincing evidence by specific and articulable facts, of a risk of firearms violence toward the protected party.

Unreasonable:

-Magazine capacity restrictions
-Caliber restrictions (the intent of the Amendment is to protect possession of the very kinds of arms that would be efficacious for conducting infantry warfare).
-Full-auto restrictions
-Convicted felon status (why should I lose my constitutional right because I evaded paying my taxes or stole money. That has nothing to with a risk of violence toward others?)
-DV convictions. (Just 'cause you got convicted of a bitch-slap when you caught her shagging your brother in front of your kids does not mean you should be automatically considered dangerous or violent.)
-Gov't permission to carry open or concealed. Totally unreasonable.

That is my short list.

Jordan

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]