Originally Posted by fish head
Here's the online calculator for Dodge trucks.

http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehicle_to_weight.jsp

Hope this helps. smile

Unfortunately, that calculator does not show the old quad cab as it was discontinued. I have the original Dodge brochure for 1998. It shows 16,000 GCVWR for a 3:55 rear end , 4 wd and 20,000 for a 4:10 rear end. So the entire drive train would actually be rated for the greater as all they do is change out the differential gears, not axles, springs, drive shaft, clutch, etc. About all that happens is you need to pull in a lower gear on climbs. I also have an engine compression brake, so my braking power is adequate.

Relooking at that calculator, it does go down to 2002 and shows a maximum trailer tow weight of 14,700, I am way below that. Loaded,my trailer should be about 7500 lbs and probably more like 6500. Add a 1500 lb camper and I am still only at 9,000 lbs and my receiver hitch is Class IV, 10,000 lbs capacity when used with a weight distributing system

Pal said "This is not good thinking, intentionally rationalizing overloading beyond the manufacturer's maximum rating. Upgrade whatever makes sense for the safety of your passengers and yourself. "

So with the above information and the trucks rating, I am not intentionally rationalizing any over loading. I think I am good, but wanted other eyes on it to see if my figures are accurate.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/27/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles