I ran some numbers with newer stuff like the 200 gr AB and the 225 AB...the H&H wins in drop and drift;but not by much and the newer bullets close the gap.

At 400 yards there is not much difference if you pick and choose loads.By the time you get to 1000 yards (!)the Holland wins by about a foot in drop and 7-8 inches in drift.

With older, standard bullets that I shot out to 600 yards with both (180 NPT and 210 NPT), the Holland wins but the two cartridges look pretty similar to 400 yards.At 600 they looked different.I suspect a turret would cure the problem.

Recoil is too complex;the Holland is among the mildest recoiling 300's,and a 338 with light bullets is a different animal from a 338 with 250's.

On mature bull elk, I found the bulls are about equally impressed with either,so after watching this a few years, my 338's went by the wayside in lieu of the 375H&H and have never been replaced;if I need more than a 7mm or 30 cal,I want a 375.

Not that a 338 is not "good"...just not on my menu.You need to think pretty hard to justify either a 338 or 375 in North America, but if we work at it, we can still do it.

A warmly loaded 30/06 comes close to factory loads for the 300 H&H,but not good hand loads to full H&H potential, where it beats the 30/06 pretty easily.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.