1tn. When I had .338's to get the speed I needed for open country, I had to run the little case at max. or just above, something I never did with other calibers.. That was to get a 200 grain close to a 200 out of a .300..The recoil was very heavy, and recoil usually is not a huge factor for me.. I could take it but I sure knew the gun was going off..
A second thing most choose to over look is lighter bullets in a .300.. Most feel if you shoot a .30 you need 180 or 200's.. I have shot those quite a bit, but 150's and 165's also are useful in North America.. When I had my Wy. sheep permit, rangefinders, turrets etc. were not common.. I knew the hunt area and using horses, would or could result in a very long poke at a ram.. To make a long story short my chance came at very long range.. I had my old .300 loaded with Nosler BTBT 150's at 3400fps.. At 500 yards it dropped less than 2 feet.. I needed it all.. I had 257 wea. flatness with 50 grains more bullet.. The old 06 is a very fine caliber.. I used it from the time I was 15 til about 25.. Then I found the .300's are even better.. They are not something everyone needs, but if you do need it and can use it, they are excellent.. The other thing I have noticed is they have achieved a great popularity.. All on their own.. No write pushed the .300's like the .270, 7mm mag. or .338.. People bought 'em, shot 'em and realized the are one heck of a cartridge..

Molon Labe