It must be a little confusing to the conspiracy theorists to hear about our Canadian friends being able to buy rimfire ammo so easily in stores. If ammo manufacturers were deliberately decreasing production to raise prices, you'd think Canada would be having a shortage too.

Of course, the first "evidence" of a conspiracy in this latest episode was a shortage of .223 ammo, which was blamed on the US government wanting it all for itself, leaving none for citizens. But .223 ammo has been all over the place for several months now. Just stopped in a couple of stores today and saw thousands of rounds.

Also found some Hornady .17 HMR 17-grain V-Max at one, with a limit of three boxes per customer. It was priced at $11.99, which is about the price it's been selling for in stores for many years now. Four bricks were already at home, but I shoot as much .17 HMR as .22 LR, so picked up three boxes. If there's any left next time I'm in the etore might buy some more.

Also picked up 500 .22 caliber match-grade pellets for my very accurate air rifle for $10, less than half the price a brick of .22 ammo goes for at normal retail prices. I shoot it a lot too, including in the garage in the winter, and even accurate pellets are really cheap. Wonder why the pellet manufacturers haven't shut down their plants to drive the price up?

Oh, and saw the normal bazillion shotgun shells, which never were scarce even at the height of the panic--at normal prices.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck