Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Guys, if you keep shots within 40 yards - you owe it to yourself to try #7 Hevi Shot. It smashes turkeys!

I wouldn't pay upwards of $5 a shell for something that I had to keep my shots within 40 yards. Any modern 12 gauge with a turkey choke should be able to kill a turkey every time inside 40 with lead 5's or 6's.
I'm not an advocate of shooting turkeys at long distances. I like for them to be right around or just inside the 30 yard mark. If they get much closer than that a lot of stuff can start to go wrong.
That being said, if I'm on a wide open bench in the mountain or a river swamp where you can clearly see 100 yards plus thru the woods and one hangs up at 47-48 yards cause he can't see a hen he's coming home with me anyway.
I don't want to step in here and start a war but #7 hevi actually has less energy than a lead 6, especially when launched at the low velocities that hevi-13 loads them at.
To each his own though, I know some real turkey killers that absolutely swear by them, they just aren't for me.