Originally Posted by m_gallopavo
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Guys, if you keep shots within 40 yards - you owe it to yourself to try #7 Hevi Shot. It smashes turkeys!

I wouldn't pay upwards of $5 a shell for something that I had to keep my shots within 40 yards. Any modern 12 gauge with a turkey choke should be able to kill a turkey every time inside 40 with lead 5's or 6's.
I'm not an advocate of shooting turkeys at long distances. I like for them to be right around or just inside the 30 yard mark. If they get much closer than that a lot of stuff can start to go wrong.
That being said, if I'm on a wide open bench in the mountain or a river swamp where you can clearly see 100 yards plus thru the woods and one hangs up at 47-48 yards cause he can't see a hen he's coming home with me anyway.
I don't want to step in here and start a war but #7 hevi actually has less energy than a lead 6, especially when launched at the low velocities that hevi-13 loads them at.
To each his own though, I know some real turkey killers that absolutely swear by them, they just aren't for me.

Ummm, not so much. Plus factor in that with the hevi 7s you have two to three times as many pellets on target, the 7s have a much smaller surface area, and they are hard like steel, not soft like lead. When they hit something they don't flatten out or deform, they penetrate like crazy. I've zipped hevi 7s clean through the top part of a breast of a big gobbler that was between 40 and 45 yards, broken wings with a stray pellet, and shot another flying away from me that my buddy had rolled, at well past 50. It hit the ground stone dead. I don't purposely advocate shooting at birds past 40 yards, but inside 40 or out, hevi 7s will kick leads butt every time.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.