I've hunted 4X Leupolds and a 4X B&L scope since 1972 in all sorts of places. They have worked alot better than I ever thought they would. That includes hunts above 11,000 ft., hunts in places where it rains 80-100 inches a year and places where it rains an average of 3.5 inches a year.
What has really impressed me was how they can take really nasty impacts - my old 4X B&L had my weight slam it into the rocks as I fell, the rifle hit the ground upside down - and still held it's zero. Both my old M8 Leupold an my newer FXII have the rifles they were on flipped off my shoulder so I could use both hands to break my fall. Neither changed zero. I understand the 4X Leupolds rarely show up needing repairs for anything.
All that said, I just bought a 1.5-4X20 VX-R Patrol for my .308. The small variable Leupolds also have a solid rep for taking a beating and holding their zero.
However, the 4X, FXII that has been on it are also going along on my hunting trips thanks to Leupolds excellent QRW rings. It's never a bad idea to carry a spare rifle scope.
BTW, a 20mm scope, to produce a nice bright image during low light conditions can't be set on anything much over 3X. But they can, and do work during such conditions. What they can't do is see as far as the more powerful and larger scopes. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 01/18/14.