I would have filed charges on that SOB in a heart beat! Some one earlier in this thread mentioned apologizing to the neighbor, and not filing charges as to keep peace with a "neighbor" or something to that effect.
If that SOB took random shots at my KID, I'd make damn sure he knew that he was not going to be MY neighbor, and even if that meant going to court.
That guy is unstable to say the least, if he did what your wife said & witnessed, and is a danger to everyone in your neigborhood.

Also, some certain Campfire Posters are always criticizing LE on here for being too quick to arrest someone.
If I had been SealBilly, I'd of been damn pissed if the responding officer DID NOT take that SOB directly to jail!

Whether the kid made an honest mistake or if the neighbor was just lying, That SOB committed a crime with the stupid ass stunt he pulled. I'm sure it would be at least a Class A Misdomeanor, or probably even a Class C Felony! Either way, I damn sure wouldn't won't that unstable SOB around my Wife or Kids !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~