gmoats;
Congratulations on your retirement sir, I hope you folks have a long and happy retirement phase of your lives together. cool

Maybe 2 decades back our federal government changed the rules on ranges here in Canada so our club was forced to have berms made in order to comply.

After looking at a few options, the executive at the time brought in a fellow with a loader to create the berms - it was a 966 sized one as I recall.

Anyway after watching how quickly an experienced operator and a big machine could make 100yds of berm up, I'd suggest at very least pricing that option out if there's a local contractor available and comparing it to either renting or buying a skid steer that you'd operate yourself.

I realize your time is less of a factor when you're retired - but fuel and machinery upkeep doesn't seem to be getting cheaper with time and if you are renting for multiple days it might not pencil out to make sense - I'm not sure.

We had our berms hydroseeded and it worked after a fashion, but truly they are a bit weed infested to this day.

Around here where gravel is plentiful and relatively inexpensive, I'd shudder to think of the cost to cover say 225yds of berm with it. It would be nice mind you, just not a low dollar option here.

A lot will depend upon the soil on your property though and what the operator has to work with that's close at hand.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and good luck in all your retirement projects.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"