Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
..Besides, if you make a 300 yd range, the holes in the backstop still won't be over 6" wide, right?

.....I didn't realize anyone here had seen me shoot blush

.....thanks for the advice so far..... I appreciate every bit of input.

Due to the lay of the land the range will have to face east----no choice in that matter. I'll primarily be using it for hand gunning so not terribly concerned with the sun/shadows, plus the prevailing winds are from the west so won't have as much windage to deal with when rifle shooting. Directly east of my property is 120 acres of Govt. owned land with a very large mound (big hill, small mountain) which will be perfect for overshots of the berm (hopefully)---although the times I've shot tracers out of M-60's the randomness of bullet deflection seems impossible to compensate for. (Won't be doing any full auto stuff on this range).

What I envision is a range deck that is 25 yards wide and 50 yards deep---I want enough room for a lateral mover of Bianchi cup dimensions. Side berms I anticipated bringing back 10 yards on each side so I can do 90 degree tgt. placements. Sounds like 8-10 ft. high on the front berm is what I should try for and maybe 8 feet high on the sides???? I have no frame of reference for how much dirt that would be needed for that--also how wide (thick) should I try to make it?

I've heard of guys pushing dirt up against old railroad ties and shooting into the wood and just re-facing it periodically. That seems simple but expensive and messy. Has anyone here done anything like that before?

I haven't moved any earth there but the ground has alot of small rock with a lot of quartz-type stuff (geology wasn't my forte). Don't know how piling it up without covering it with something (sand?) would effect ricochets, etc.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming---I appreciate it.
Greg

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.