Was at the range this afternoon, since we had a break for a day from the rain.... and was zeroing a new scope on my Ruger 77/17...

after zeroing it with the standard 17 gr V Max, I also tested points of impact and accuracy at 100 yds with several different types of 17 HMR ammo I had...

First of all, don't waste your time on the 20 grain TNT bullet.. evidently that is intended for hand guns... a blind kid with a sling shot could have gotten better groups at 100 yds than my Ruger did...

point of impact of 20 grain bullets ( several types) was pretty much the same as the 17 gr V Max at 100 yds... both bullet weights giving groups that could be covered by a quarter...

The last one I tried, from both Hornady and Winchester manufacture, was the 15.5 grain NTX bullet, which is a lead free bullet... Point of impact was about 1/2 an inch or less to the left of the 17 and 20 grain bullets...

but the group size of both the Hornady and Winchester ammo was HALF that of the 17 grain V Max....and don't know the reason, but the Winchester lead free is actually cheaper at my local store than the regular 17 V Max loads from Winchester, which run less than they charge for Hornady branded ammo...

the Win 15.5 NTX load was $10.79 per box of 50... Hornady and CCI usually charge more for the lead free bullets...

so thought I'd pass this along to my fellow campfire members... see if your results are any different...

same results occurred in my Marlin.... and my NEF single shot will shoot ANY HMR ammo more accurate than any of the bolt actions I have had... so it doesn't count...