Calif. Hunter: I have NEVER owned a CZ Rifle and for personal reasons can not safely own one.
But I have at least 20 friends and fellow Varmint Hunters who do own them.
I admire their accuracy and reliability but as in all firearm lines they are NOT perfect - I have two friends who had to return their rimfire CZ's to the manufacture for replacement.
One was returned two years ago becuase of a horrifically scarred barrel (internally) - my retired gunsmith friend who bought this Rifle has a Hawkeye Borescope. The 17 MachII heavy barreled CZ he bought was brand new and had a completely pitted and scarred barrel - my friend deduced that the barrel had been blued and either not plugged properly or not cleaned properly after bluing (or both things!) he did not even shoot the Rifle before returning it.
He bought it "mail-order" style.
CZ promptly REPLACED the Rifle for him though!
Sadly they had quit making Rifles in 17 MachII and gave him his choice of ANY rimfire CZ they still made.
My friend chose a 17 HMR for replacement.
By the way he already had a CZ heavy barrel Rifle in the 17 MachII caliber and he was so thrilled with the accuracy of that Rifle he wanted another.
I saw him shoot a group (5 shots at 100 yards!) measuring just under 1/3 of an inch with his first CZ 17 MachII!
To this day that is the best group I have ever seen made with a rimfire Rifle at 100 yards.
Anyway we were sad to see that second CZ had been sent out of the factory with such a glaring deficiency!
I forget the particulars on my other friends CZ but it was replaced with another 17 HMR that more than made him happy.
No one is perfect and that goes for firearms manufactures as well I guess.
That 16 grain C.C.I. ammo is another offering I have not tried as yet.
Every Rifle is an individual "they say"!
And yours is different from my firends CZ 17's as most all of them use the Hornady 17 grainers for excellent accuracy!
Yep, you are EXACTLY right when you say "go figure".
Enjoy your CZ.
I often wish I could safely own one.
They are cool little guns.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy