Jan 11-64 Bow season

Arrived with Biggers about 10:30 P.M. Thursday night. Snow was drifted on road and had to leave car at foot of hill. Biggers saw 55 deer & I saw 51 in two days. Biggers missed one & I broke an arrow trying to shoot through trees. 10 degrees above zero Sat morning. Left camp around noon Sunday. Squirrels were by the back door.

Bert

The was the heyday of deer numbers in Penn's Woods. If you didn't see at least 30 deer a day, it was a slow day. I remember one opening day when I counted 47 deer. This was before QDM was enacted. It wasn't at all uncommon to see those kinds of numbers and maybe see one spike buck out of all that. The herd was definitely out of balance and QDM eventually leveled out the buck/doe ratio quite a bit, but that didn't come until much later.

There are many entries about the guys taking 35 or more squirrels in a weekend too, and that's with no Sunday hunting. Many of the entries talk about the guys getting to camp at about 1 a.m. in the morning on Saturday. This is because most of the guys were working until 5 or 6 in the evening, and then had a 4 hour plus drive to get to camp. When Interstate 80 went through it shaved an hour and a half to two hours off our commute times.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla