Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by safariman
FWIW, I went after my bear, alone, the night I shot him and only quit when my flashlight did and I started tripping over limbs and vines. AFAIK, he was stone dead. The shot looked and sounded great, and the bear piled up and rolled quickly down into the nasty Blackberry vines and rocks with very steep slopes. The next morning, I was in the bottom of that canyon WITH JJ looking for my dead bear (All indications were that he was dead down in there) And was looking for blood or sign in the bottom of the drainage when Jim happened upon him and administered a Cou De Grace at nearly point blank range like anyone would have done.

And, I was as involved as anyone in recovery and processing the bear. The picture showed Jim H working on the bear while he was by the truck because I had stepped away to take that picture.

So many wrong, negative assumptions have been made along the way in this thread that have no basis in fact. Just speculation that turns into an accusation.

My friends who go with me on hunts go willingly, knowing that I need a bit more help these days due to my illness. I did not force anyone. And that day I dove down into the mix of everything and stayed at the project until the bear was in a cooler and the hide at the taxidermist.

I paid dearly for that in pain and exhaustion for the next few days after, but for me it was a good trade.

Yes, JJHack IS a very good man and I am fortunate to count him among my closest friends. I have helped others on game retrieval adventures when I could, and there may come a day when I can again. Some people post Kidney Transplant bounce back to be nearly thier former selves. This is my hope, but only God knows and only time will tell.

For me, I am going to live as big as I can for as long as I can. Keep pushing the envelopes until I die, or maybe die trying.

Thats all you can do is keep doing what you can. I knew a guy who helped a blind man kill a buck. I've known a couple guys in wheelchairs whose friends pushed them out in the woods. Thats what friends are for. I know I would never quit hunting unless I wAs competely bedridden. You get out there and do your best, and surround yourself with some good friends.

Mike,

I closed my eyes and imagined what you last deer hunt will look like...

[Linked Image]

Good luck when that time comes there Buddy!

I hope not LOL! grin