Jim in Idaho,

I am going to have to try this...scrubbing is for the birds and if I can find a cheaper way to wipe all of this schit outta my barrel the better. Got a question to ask:

conical rubber plug...how big of it do you get to fit the chamber? I presume this will go up to the lands is what you are referring to? Or does it just go in the chamber?

using a plastic grocery bag rubber banded over the muzzle...if it leaks and gets on the blueing of the muzzle and you leave it on for a few hours will this fade the blueing?

I have a bottle of Montana Extreme Bore Solvent but have not used it. Might as well get going with this so how much do you put in your muzzle? You stated 3-4 droppers as in eye drops. That is a VERY small amount to me but if you mean 3-4 of those full eye dropper containers then I guess that can work. I do not have an eye dropper but how much liquid would you say that 3-4 eye droppers hold?

Tomorrow I will stop over Lowes and get this rubber plug. My guess it would be in the plumbing dept? I know some small hardware stores will have these but do not know if Lowes will have them but I will check...we got those big box stores here and none of the family owned-size hardware stores here.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Montana Extreme Bore Cleaner.

Get a 25 cent conical rubber plug from the hardware store - heck, get 2, that's a lifetime supply.

Stick the plug in the chamber, tap it in tight with a cleaning rod. Squirt about 3-4 eye dropper's full of Montana Extreme in the muzzle. Take a square of plastic grocery bag and attach it to the muzzle with a rubber band. Turn the muzzle up, then down, then up, then down to coat the bore. Lay the rifle on a level surface and walk away.

Come back several hours later. Remove the grocery bag from the muzzle and pour out the now blue liquid. Carefully run a cleaning rod in from the muzzle to tap out the plug. Run 2 dry patches through the bore from the chamber end to dry the rest of the bore cleaner. If you feel like it, run a patch with some lighter fluid or alcohol on it to completely degrease the bore, or not. Run an oily patch through the bore and you're done.

If the rifle is a real fouler, look at the muzzle in a good light after cleaning as above. If you see streaks of copper (very rare) apply Montana Extreme Copper Killer as described above in place of the Bore Cleaner.

If you had to use the Copper Killer then when you're done apply Dyna Bore Coat once. Then put the Copper Killer away, never to be used again - at least not on that rifle.

FWIW, I use the Bore Cleaner about every 300-400 rounds whether the rifle needs it or not, I'm real particular about that... wink