I guess that you get better at range estimation the more you do it. Back in '03 I took my 25-06 to Wyoming for a guided antelope hunt. It was my first experience in that type of wide open environment and some of my buddies who already "been there, done that" told me not to trust my own estimates, but listen to the guide because if you've never hunted in that type of wide open space you probably won't be able to judge distance accurately. They were right. I was always guessing low on my estimates. I wound up refering to my guide as the human range finder. He was that good. I know how many steps it takes me to go 100 yards and this guy was almost dead on every time. I filled my doe tag at about 200/ 225 yards and he was right even though I thought it was about 150. Good thing I listened to him. He called my buck 325 yards and by my steps he was off less than 10 yds. I knew that buck was out there, ( dropped him in his tracks with a 117 gr. Sierra pro-hunter flat base) but by that time I didn't trust my guesses so I didn't even bother guessing. He said that he's been doing this for years and after awhile you get used to it. Now I own a Leica rangefinder and that helps you to get an eye for distance. Maybe someday I could get a little better at eyeballing distance without a rangefinder