Practice makes perfect I guess. I'm getting a bit better than I was a couple years ago but I still don't consider myself good. I'm located in western NY state northwest of Rochester up along the south shore of Lake Ontario. Most people can't believe it when they see a lake like this, unless they live near one this big or live near the ocean. I hear things like "wow, you can't see all the way across", to which i reply, "you can get out there to where you can't see land ANYWHERE". Anyway, I've noticed on open water that my range estimation guesses get pretty lousy. Things always look closer than they really are. Must be why I was underestimating everything on the wide open, flat plains of Wyoming. Without some type of reference points between me and whatever I'm trying to estimate distance to my estimates get lousy. Now I remember my guide in Wyoming saying he could sort of lay an imaginary 100 yard ruler out in front of him and then flip it over in his mind to reach out there if it were over 100 yards. Like I said previously, I used to call this guy the "human range finder" so apparently he's onto something. As for me, well, I'm a little better than I was but I'm working on it. Maybe I'm a bit of a slow learner in that department, (grin).