Depending on the particular set those Ruger rings will weigh 4 ounces each - that's half a pound added to the weight of the rifle in scope rings alone. I can see the theoretical benefit of permanently milled in scope bases but that limits you to rings made specifically to fit those bases. If they're going to do that they could change to a universal Weaver pattern or better yet just forgo them for a round top receiver and let the user supply bases and rings. It's a nice idea in theory and to Ruger's credit they give you rings with the rifle but if'n I had my druthers I'd rather just have all the options of doing it myself.

IIRC McMillan can't make a lightweight Edge fill stock due to that angled front screw since the design does not allow enough meat in the recoil shoulder area.

Again, nice idea when it first came out - pull the action back into the recoil shoulder area to make up for the variances of mass produced wooden stocks but it has had unforeseen ramifications down the road.

That said, I like my Hawkeyes. The stock triggers are dependable and can be worked down to a nice crisp hunting pull. Accuracy is good to excellent in my small 3 rifle sample. Actions can be rough (bumpity bumpity bump) or have a fairly smooth bolt throw. Not lightweights but not as heavy as any of my Model 70's out of the box (until you add those boat anchor scope rings wink ).

It is what it is and what most all Ruger products are - a solid, dependable product, strong and tough as hell, not necessarily as "refined" as some but more accurate than you'd think they should be and offered at a very reasonable price compared to the competition.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!