Question for the "tangers". How important is it that a safety physically blocks the striker and not just some part of the firing sequence?

That's one of the things I really like about the Model 70 and the Model 77 Hawkeye - the safety imposes a physical barrier which holds back the striker/firing pin from reaching the primer. Most safeties just block the trigger or sear, the trigger blockers to me are the worst since the striker is still hanging, quite literally, by the tiny sliver of contact between it and the sear.

When I first saw a Ruger 3 position safety I thought it was a pretty chintzy copy of the Model 70 but then I got to thinking about it and it is quite innovative. The safety in 3rd position rests in a notch that prevents that striker from moving, no way no how.

Of course any safety can be disabled and a steel part can break - and then there's the whole debate about cold or hot chambers and the resultant need for safeties in the first place - but given that one uses a safety, I like the current one a lot.

Next topic - I don't like forward swinging safeties in the first place, they stick out where they can bumped. The ONLY time I've ever had a safety brushed completely off safe was with a Model 70.

The original Mauser idea was best - the safety moves from right to left in a plane that your thumb will naturally sweep through as you grasp the rifle. That doesn't suit scope mounting so it has been moved to various places and/or reduced to a 2 position model, none of which is optimal.

I like a 3 position safety but in my mind it should be placed directly behind the striker so it swings from right to left horizontally and doesn't interfere with scope mounting. On full safe with striker blocked, bolt locked, the lever is at about a 4 or 5 o'clock position to the bolt - tucked in out of the way. As your thumb reaches over the comb it can naturally sweep it to the left, to about a 7 o'clock position. Straight back at 6 o'clock is second position, on safe but bolt free to open. Reverse that for left handed rifles.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!