Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

[Linked Image]

Just to pick a nit, the top rifle is indeed an 03, but the stock is a WWII expedient called the Scant Grip Stock, as opposed to the full pistol grip stock called the Type C stock. The scant grip stocks were allowed so as to use up inventories of straight grip (Style S) stock blanks in the duplicating lathes that were designed for the Type C pistol grip stocks. There wasn't enough wood in the S blanks to make a fully formed C stock, hence the weird pistol grip shape. Personally, I have consigned every Scant Grip Stock that fell into my lap to the kindling pile, I dislike them that much. Of course, I wish I had them back as people are actually paying money for them now.

Anecdote: My dad and his buddy both ordered an '03 from the DCM through the NRA 50 years ago. I believe the price was $19+ change. It was the luck of the draw as to what you got when you placed an order. Pop got a run-of-the-mill 03A3, Kenny got a 1903A4 sniper rifle, in mint condition. Naturally they both got sporterized and Kenny chortled that at least he didn't have to pay to have his bolt altered for scope use, and they both bitched about having to buy '03 bottom metal so as to divest themselves of the chintzy sheet metal bottom metal on the 03A3s.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/20/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty