Originally Posted by eyeball
YGBKM. Name one case where money can't buy .gov off.

The Army won't reveal the results of Berghdal until the election is over. The US atty gen will not prosecute anything - Black on white hate crimes, gun running, illegal aliens, IRS tyranny, EPA tyranny, FBI tyranny, election fraud, voter intimidation, etc.
Yeah in a lot of cases money can buy someone off. But that's an extremely small % of business that can do that. Not every business has the political connections, ballz, and money to buy off government regulators. So for the vast majority of businesses regulation works.

We as a society need to hold government to a better standard than we have. The Mineral's Management Agency who rubber stamped Gulf Drilling, the FDIC who rubber stamped anything and everything Wall Street wanted to do; the list goes on. When an agency fails due to either outright corrupton, conflict of interest, or just being too cozy with their industries, we need to put people in jail.

Jail is a magical thing, it's the one thing that gets people's attention. The financial collapse will happen again because instead of putting someone's arse in jail, Obama went for fines. Well hell, if I'm the CEO of Goldman Sach's, I still get my paycheck if a fine is paid, so how is that a deterrent?

Obama got away with that and NO ONE called him on it. I would have given up every last fine to put one really big, high profile CEO in jail. Blankfien, Lewis, Pandit, Dimon and their lot. Just one of them would have done more toward reeling them in than all the fines combined.