An interesting thing happened as I was planning for this last bunch of rifles to go to the best homes.

Giving about a dozen rifles and shotguns away one or two at a time was going way too slow as I felt myself sliding ever closer to the crematorium. There had to be a way to expedite the purge of my gun safe and gun cabinet.

I made a two-column list � the remaining rifles and the preferred recipients for them. Rifle A, I thought, should go to Friend A, Rifle B to Friend B, and so on. I really pored over that list and poured a lot of careful thought into it.

Then flashed a wild idea � ask the guys what their druthers are. So I sent 'em all the list on the same PM.

Good thing I did. They set me straight in a hurry. Friend A voiced his preference for Rifle C � and so it went. Don't know how I would've settled the issue if two friends were to say that they had the hots for the same rifle � but fortunately, that didn't happen. Only one of the rifles wound-up going to the fellow whose name I'd first put on it. All the rest varied from my list.

For example, one friend whom I'd thought-of as a collector responded as a shooter, and another spoke of his deep interest in the �collector� rifle.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.