Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
At least one Campfire fecalneuric likes to imply that my friends have become my friends because I've given 'em nice things.

180� off-course, Buddy Boy! (A simplicity beyond your ability to comprehend, I know.)

One of my eternal regrets is that I don't have enough of anything to give something of value to every one of my friends � many of whom I haven't even met yet.

well, if the truth be known, no matter if everyone wants to accept it or not, the friendship thing came a long long time before the part about something of value. I have been on the receiving end of both.
Ken can be kind of crusty at times, which gives him some of his charm. I don't think he has ever suffered fools easily. He has a very precise mindset in things, which is the reason he wrote that wonderful book on reforming brass, and the reason it turned out so well. It is the same type of mindset my grandson has, the air force engineer type.
My biggest problem which i have to overcome is taking the something of value out in the woods for fear of scratching it. I am working up to it. Without a doubt, Dr. Howell is a national treasure in the gun world, for just a whole bunch of reasons, and I have treasured the time i have had to spend with him. My regret in that area is he is hard of hearing and so am I, and we are about at the point of having to use sign language.
I think those of us that have gone up to quemato every year truly value the richness of the experience, it seems like it's better every year. And that, is the direct result of Howell. I am aware of quite a few things this man has done out of the goodness of his heart, with no thought of self benefit in mind. A few of the recipients have already posted on this thread, and know what i am talking about. He is a better man than I for sure.
And see, I learned a new word today, fecalneuric. I am going to use that.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

When I first met Ken, I had no expectations, no idea he had ever given anything to anyone or even would. That wasn't the reason I went to visit him and in fact the thought never even occurred to me. As far as I knew, he could have been a hoarder or clingy and afraid to get rid of anything, or selfish and mean, or simply one of those people who just rub you the wrong way, although I really didn't expect that, but some personalities simply clash for whatever reason. Or it could have been that he was one that simply didn't give anything away and that would have been OK by me. Not so in this case.

It seems to me most everything to Ken is just "stuff", albeit some of it pricy stuff, but still mostly just "stuff". Not stuff without value, but stuff where the monetary value is nowhere near the intangible and irreplaceable value of the friendship that comes when one knows the sentimental value of an item they've been given. To receive an item that meant a great deal to the giver makes that item more valuable to me. And that makes what I've been given not only by Ken, but all others all that much more valuable to me.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~