I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but MOST people, meaning mostly men, cannot handle the recoil of a 375. I've had one for 45 years. It is NOT pleasant to shoot. If not going to hunt Elephant, or something requring a 375, don't get one. As noted by another here, the 06 has and will kill anything out there, including the DG, though not legal, and takes more shooting ability. Col. Askins noted in an article of his I recently read, that one of the reasons for going to the M14 and 308, was the bitching of the troops about the recoil of the 06. I belive it was Col Whelen, or Gen Hatcher who said the 06 about a much of a round as the average person can tolerate, recoil wise. The 375 will kill the smaller stuff, true, but not as well as an 06 correctly loaded, or a 308, or a 280. The bullets for a 375, being oriented towards heavier stuff, just will not expand as quickly, as the right weight on in the 06, etc. If you were going to Africa and wanted to hunt a cape buff, then borrow, rent a rifle from the PH, or hunting company, or if you have one take your 458, or 416. Last year, using a 308, my god grandson, took 4 of 5 animals (including a Zebra) with a 308, and the 130gr TTSX bullet. One was hit in line, but a bit low, and took another shot, which went from the right hip, to the left shoulder. The 375 would not have done better and a 13 year old kid, would not have been able to handle the 375.

To get to the original question. I wouldn't necessarily want any of the 3, the 06 being world wide, more powerful than the 8mm, and the 35 whelen and 338-06 (I have one of those too, and have used it in Africa) there is most likely NOT going to be any ammo for them, that is the whelen and 338/06, to be found. The 06 can be found everywhere pretty much. And, if loaded with the correct bullet, can't be beat.

Last edited by tisha; 11/26/14.