Originally Posted by tisha
A)I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but MOST people, meaning mostly men, cannot handle the recoil of a 375.
B)It is NOT pleasant to shoot. If not going to hunt Elephant, or something requring a 375, don't get one.
C)As noted by another here, the 06 has and will kill anything out there, including the DG, though not legal, and takes more shooting ability.
D)Col. Askins noted in an article of his I recently read, that one of the reasons for going to the M14 and 308, was the bitching of the troops about the recoil of the 06. I belive it was Col Whelen, or Gen Hatcher who said the 06 about a much of a round as the average person can tolerate, recoil wise.
E)The 375 will kill the smaller stuff, true, but not as well as an 06 correctly loaded, or a 308, or a 280.
F)The bullets for a 375, being oriented towards heavier stuff, just will not expand as quickly, as the right weight on in the 06, etc.
G)If you were going to Africa and wanted to hunt a cape buff, then borrow, rent a rifle from the PH, or hunting company, or if you have one take your 458, or 416.
H)The 375 would not have done better and a 13 year old kid, would not have been able to handle the 375.
I)To get to the original question. I wouldn't necessarily want any of the 3, the 06 being world wide, more powerful than the 8mm, and the 35 whelen and 338-06 there is most likely NOT going to be any ammo for them, that is the whelen and 338/06, to be found.
J)The 06 can be found everywhere pretty much. And, if loaded with the correct bullet, can't be beat.

A) You are right I certainly do not agree with all of your statement. I would totally agree if MOST people were couch potatos or mall walkers. A properly setup 375 H&H can be very easy to shoot. It just takes a little thought & a knowledgeable gunsmith.
B)If you don't like the way a stock 375H&H handles/shoots put on a good recoil pad on, cut the stock to fit, add a mercury recoil reducer, and cut the barrel back to 22" and install a break. This all turns the 375H&H into a recoil puzzy!
C)True No Arguements here.
D)Out of context...Askins was refering to rifle range and battle. Where a lot of ammo is shot up. You will not be doing that kind of shooting, hunting or practicing.
E)Seriuosly mistaken.
F)Agree if you are not a reloader and buy nothing but 300grain factory loads. But pure punk if you are reloader. Apparently you have just owned your 375H&H and not used it much for 45 years.
G)Agree this is always an option.
H)? I don't think the OP is a 13 year old kid. But I may be wrong.
I)Agreed but the 375H&H would be better than the 06.
J)Agree that 06 ammo is everywhere but not that it can't be beat! The 375H&H will and does beat it in every way. I'll also say you can most often find ammo for it in most states, provinces, & countries also.

Since you (tisha) are a reader; Bob Hagel, a big-game guide and firearms writer, once wrote that in hunting you "should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

In ideal conditions, any animal can be killed with almost any rifle cartridge. There is no beast on earth, including dangerous ones, that cannot be dispatched with a well-placed bullet from a 375H&H Magnum. Animals as formidable as elephants and cape buffalo have, on occasion, been killed with smaller rifle cartridges firing light bullets like the 06. But certainly is not recommended.

IF the 375H&H is such a bad choice why is it throughout its history so much has been written by so many hunters/writers that it is THE ALL AROUND HUNTING CARTRIDGE?

Cheers to the OP on finding your do all hunting cartridge.