I have a pre-64 model 70 in 375, that I've had restocked, because the pre-64 stocks added to the recoil. I shoot a 340wby and it doesn't have the recoil of the 375. I have used the 375 on a number of animals over the last 42 years, and it does NOT kill stuff like Impala, or the normal plains game, as well as the 06, 280, etc. This size animal, hit with the 06, etc., goes down NOW. I have used the 338/06 on some stuff like Oryx and did not find it to be as good a killer, as the 280,with the same placement. There are, admitteldy, better bullets today, but the still are not going to open up as well or quick as the ones from the 06. Askins was not only talking about war shooting, nor was Gen Hatcher. And an M1 doesn't really have much recoil. I do a lot of hunter sight in, etc., and have seen people flinching badly using 300WMs and such, which have no where near the recoil of the 375. I may have mentioned, that there are about 280 different animals, mostly plains game, in Africa, about 260 of them no bigger than a white tail, MOST Of them are smaller. There is no need for something the size of a 375 to use on them. If someone wants to go to Africa, or Alaska, or anywhere in the lower 48, there is nothing that really requires a 375. It might have a bit UP on a Moose, or big Elk, but no need for one for deer, antelope, Impala, or Nyala. Why saddle someone with a rifle, caliber, they can't really handle? You mentioned couch potatoes, but I'm telling you , that most people out there, can't tolerate a 375. Going to all the trouble you list, isn't worth it for a sometimes, hunting rifle. Problem too often is, that too many people use too much gun and it doesn't work well. I've told people who were having trouble killing deer with their 06, to go down in bullet weight (I don't use anything over a 165gr) as the 180s not really made for deer, and don't espand quickly enough to kill well. Sure, they DO kill, but the 150 kills better. I shot a Caribou a few years back, under a 100 yds, using a 225gr accubond bullet. Hit him in the leg, about 4" below the ball joint, and came out the other side, about 1/2 way back in the ribs. He turned and started off and got about 50 feet, which made it a fine kill. But the 280 with the 140gr bullet, same make, they hit the ground like struck by lightening. There's just too much BS attached to the 375. It's more gun than's needed, and will NOT kill plains game size stuff as well as the 06 and that group. I took some 06 ammo loaded with the 150gr TTSX bullet, for my PH, he said it was the best killing ammo he'd ever used. If someone wants to use the 375, because they buy into the hype, let them. But my position is it is not NEEDED, and why burden yourself with more gun than you need, and might not be able to shoot well, due to recoil.

Since the 06, 308, etc, will kill all the plains game out there, very well. No need to take along a 375, because it's the "in thing".