I built a .257 AI on a Mexican Mauser action with a Krieger barrel and a Rimrock stock about 15 years ago. It is one of my very favorite rifles. Except for one quirk, I cannot honestly say that it is significantly better than if I had just had it chambered for the factory cartridge.

This rifle is a little weird in that I get AI velocities with hand loading data for the factory cartridge. These loads are almost always in the lower end of the range shown in the loading manuals. My gunsmith and I have never been able to figure out why this happens, but it does. My grandson has a very nice Remington Model 7 chambered in .257 Roberts. I bought this rife from Karnis here on the campfire after he had reworked it. My rifle gets 100-150 fps more with the same powder charges and bullets.

All of this makes me scratch my head and wonder why I don't just buy factory rifles and shoot them and leave the custom builds and wildcats for others. Then I would have more time for crossword puzzles and reading the longer threads here on the campfire.

Last edited by mudhen; 12/30/14.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...