i've had almost 4000# of tile in the bed of my 1/2 ton dodge.

Ya, buts thats part of your cultural heritage grin

....but anyways, sorta related, we have a 90's Saturn station wagon with 300,000 miles on it. One of them cars you run 'till it dies because it sure ain't worth anything. Original springs/shocks. We use it as our pickup truck and to haul the dogs on outings, back seat permanently folded flat, tarp laid down in back. Mostly sits unused from one week to the next.

Over the break I used it to haul 900-1,000 lbs of brick, three trips of 900-1,000 lbs each, to a place thirty miles away.

Now of course 900lbs of brick doesn't take all that much room, I technically coulda fit all 3,000lbs or so in in one trip. I stacked it in each time such that all the weight was centered between the front and back wheels, mostly over the folded down back seat rather than all in the very back.

I was surprised to note that the suspension actually wasn't bottomed out all the way, didn't handle all that bad at speed on the innerstate either.

Sure glad I didn't have to make any emergency stops tho... grin

...or change a flat neither.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744